Monday, January 6, 2014

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Week 17, Day 2
Objective: 
recognize distinctive and shared characteristics of cultures through reading; understand cultural background to literary texts, grade level vocabulary, and listening for understanding.


  1. Welcome back!  I am in Austin at the UIL State Congress Contest.  I will be back on Thursday.  I've missed you all dearly!  Happy New Year!!!!!!  I hope you're looking forward to an AWESOME 2014!!!!!!!!!    
  2. Bell Work: fill out this form "Highlights of 2013 and Looking Forward to 2014"
  3. Week 17 SAT words are on the wall.
    1. Please study and LEARN these ten words this week.  I promise it will make the weekly task of studying for the SAT quizzes much less daunting!  (Come on, would I lie to you about this?!?!)
  4. Week 17 DRE (due Friday)
  5. Read about Washington Irving on page 227.  
    1. Add notes to your "Author Information" document that we began earlier this year.  
    2. If for some reason you cannot find it, here is the link to the original document: Author Information
  6. "The Devil and Tom Walker" by Washington Irving--Vocabulary and Literary Terms
    1. Added to your Vocabulary and Literary Terms Document
    2. If we have a new student, please share your document with him/her.
    3. Literary Terms, p. 226
      1. Character Development
      2. Direct Characterization
      3. Indirect Characterization
    4. Vocabulary, p. 226
      1. Prevalent
      2. Discord
      3. Treacherous
      4. Extort
      5. Ostentation
      6. Parsimony
  7. I know this may seem like a lot, but it isn't.  My hope is to breeze through this story this week and then continue on with Non-Fiction (Expository, Procedural, and Persuasive) text.  That means you are NOT off the hook for reading a non-fiction book.  If you didn't finish yours over the break, you better get busy!!!!!!
  8. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at cavalos@godleyisd.net or tweet me @AvalosEnglish.
  9. Be good for the sub and I can't wait to see you all on Thursday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment